Aerial Dance

13:09 Unknown 0 Comments

Aerial Silks Dance Aeriaist
I just wanted a place I could talk about and organize all of my thoughts and inner dialogue and study surrounding Aerial Arts.

I was first introduced to Aerial Dance in 2012. A friend inspired me to make a summer bucket list, a list of new things I wanted to try/experience over the summer. They included things like, picnic on the beach, take a dance class, visit the art gallery etc... and for some reason I included on that list, take an Aerial Silks class. I don't even remember the first time I saw someone perform on Aerial Silks.. or why it intrigued me so much. I guess I have always had an affinity for creative movement, having taken several different styles of dance during high school, and having loved performing from an early age...

Aerial Straddle Back Inversion Aerialist

So I went to a local circus school ( I was living in Toronto so all I had to do was throw a rock in any direction..) and discovered a few things:

1) I was in terrible shape. Okay, I was pretty average for someone who biked and walked around but didn't go to the gym or have any specific fitness goals. I had potential, though it was well hidden. I could barely hang on the silks for more than a few seconds. I was easily bruised and burned. I got winded after only being up there for a minute or two.

2) I LOVE a challenge. Yes it's hard. Circus anything is HARD. Difficult. Challenging, physically and mentally. It's painful. It twists and pinches and burns and squeezes in places you had forgotten existed. The next day you are so sore you can hardly breathe. But... each progression gets easier and easier.. and then you achieve something new that you weren't able to do before... and the gates open up and you are proud and your self-esteem and confidence are the highest they have ever been. It's an amazing feeling..

3) I found my new passion. After the first class, I was hooked. I wanted more. I dreamed about it, fantasized. I consumed every video/article/book I could get my hands on. I wanted to know every trick, every transition, I wanted to get stronger and more flexible. I knew it, this would be something that sticks with me.

Aerial Silks Splits Flexibility

On and off since then I have trained and studied under various coaches. Each coach was completely different from the next with different teaching styles and background. I like to think I picked what I liked best about each coach and absorbed that and left the rest. I gained some meaningful coaching experience starting first co-coaching and moving on to running my own classes. I was instructing a small group of women twice a week, just for the summer, on beginner Aerial Silks. But, I know I have a lot to learn, and there is a lot of myself I want to improve. I want to be a better Aerialist. I want to broaden my range of skills. I want to master the basics. I want to acquire more performing experience. I want to train under more and different coaches. I want to become stronger and more flexible. I also want to be a better coach. After this summer beginner workshop I am putting on, I am going to focus more on myself. On improving my skill set . More on that later.




You Might Also Like

0 comments: